Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Distraction: Can You Pass Eighth Grade Math?


Well, the good news is that I can:

You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!


The question is, can you? Take the test and find out...


The test made me laugh a bit, because I realized how much of my job involves 8th grade math, and I work with multi-billion dollar budgets and a mind-boggling set of databases. I'm pretty sure I wasted hundreds of hours studying trigonometry, calculus, statistics and related courses, which I use maybe once a week.

If I had to do it over again, I would drop out in the ninth grade (public school was essentially state owned baby sitting), work full time at a good union trade job while going to community college at night, work my way up to one of the IV league schools (where I could network and make my resume look spiffier - I'm pretty sure the courses they teach there would be equally useless) and get involved in grass roots politics earlier. College was great, but 90% of what I've learned has been at done independently or at work. Sigh.

The only thing sadder is that I imagine many people at my job can't pass eighth grade math.

Hat tip to Rox for the link.

Labels:

<-Back to the Main Page