Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Distraction: Firefly - go and watch it

When I first heard the internet buzz about a sci-fi space western written by the same guy who did "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" a couple years back, I chalked it up to other popular idiocy that I often read on the internet - All your base are belong to us - for instance. I generally don't like westerns made in the last 20 years, and the lousy acting and poor scripts of recent steam punk movies (Wild Wild West, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) left me with a sour taste. So I avoided it like the plague.

But after seeing just one episode at a friends house, I went out the very next day and bought the entire season. I watched the entire season. Fourteen episodes. In two nights. Firefly is, by far, the most original and well done piece of science fiction I've seen on a screen in many years.

But because it has a huge cult following and unlimited potential, Fox canceled it. Sigh.

Hopefully the movie they're making out of it will be good.

All of this is old news to anyone who owns a high speed internet connection. But hey, better late then never. I'm through with Lucas. Joss Whedon is my master now.

Labels:

<-Back to the Main Page