Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Article: SUV backover deaths: What can be done?

This story and commentary comes from a good friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous:

I know this isn't supposed to be funny, but I can't get past the paragraph that starts "It's called bye bye syndrome."

Yes, grandma chooses to drive around in something the size of a small army tank, and the little snots go bye bye.

You also have to love the headline "What can be done about backover deaths?" Well, I can think of two things:

1)Don't make consumer cars that are so big you can't see behind you.

2) For the parents of the kids claimed by 'bye bye syndrome' to actually watch their kids and say "Grandma can't see behind her, so you can't run out into the driveway."

I have thought for a couple of years that the editors of CNN.com have mortifyingly funny senses of humor. Last year a man that worked for Sara Lee got murdered and stuffed in a freezer and the headline was "Sara Lee Executive Found Stuffed in Freezer" while that actually happened, the headline is hilarious. Not as funny as "we call it the bye bye syndrome' but still funny.
I agree wholeheartedly. My friend has also been a huge influence on my desire to have children, or rather, not to have children. Don't get me wrong, I still love kids, grew up in a big family, and instinctively want a big family. But the overwhelming evidence is that people are stupid, and children are even dumber. So why make more?
<-Back to the Main Page