Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oddly accurate internet test

Apparently, I have a Philadelphian accent:

I find this hilarious, since I originally had a thick native New York accent, spent years in speech therapy to get rid of an impediment (thus also getting rid of most of the NY accent), was moved to central Jersey for most of grade and high school, and since then I've spent most of the last ten years living in and around the Beltway. I've lived in Philly for a grand total of six months of my entire life, and yet have somehow been infected by their speech patterns. Argh.

Numerous people have observed that I tend to reflect the accent of whomever I'm thinking about or talking to at the moment, a remnant of the speech therapy and years spent as a grassroots organizer, social worker, phone surveyor, etc. So I guess when I'm reading stuff on the internet, I think in a Philly accent. Wierd.


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.



You can figure out your accent here.

Hat tip to Pandagon.
<-Back to the Main Page