Thursday, August 17, 2006

Politics: Bush reads Camus?

Saw this last night on the Daily Show last night and then saw it again online this morning, and it was just too funny to believe:

President Bush, just finishing up a small vacation in Crawford Texas, did what many Americans do on vacation, he took the time to read a book. He dedicated a brief portion of his vacation ito reading a work by one of France's most celebrated authors, Albert Camus, "The Stranger". The President stated that the book made a real impression upon him...

As we all know, the main plot of The Stranger is about an alienated man who kills an Arab without remore. The last paragraph of the book reads:

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself - so like a brother, really - I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

Gee, I wonder if empathizes with the main character, who killed for no good reason and then feels isolated and abandoned by God.

Also, Camus is one of my favorite authors, but shouldn't Bush have gotten around to reading him and a few other works on French Algeria at some point before launching a war on an Arab country? Just saying.
<-Back to the Main Page